Thursday, July 17, 2008

Just one of those days

Today has been just one of those days where everything seems to go wrong. I woke up this morning with some serious indigestion, which I haven't had in a long time. I didn't even eat anything that crazy the night before! I did have a lot of sherbet, which I don't normally have, so maybe that did it. So I woke up, took some tums and pepto and went to class. All during the 4 hours of class, I kept fighting waves of nausea but I couldn't leave because you just can't miss a single class period. You cover so much, it is really difficult to make up and I have learned to just suffer through the best I can.

As soon as class got out, I was going down the outside stairwell to make my way to my car and I felt a little rain drop on my forehead. It was raining pretty bad yesterday, so I left my wet umbrella to dry out in my car. Smart, huh? Literally within one minute it was POURING!! "Big 'ol fat rain" as Forest Gump would say. I got completely drenched and so did my bag with my notes and books. My shoes also don't have much traction on my feet when they are wet, so I was slowly and gingerly walking across campus, getting more and more wet by the second, trying not to fall on my booty. As soon as I got close to my car, the rain stopped completely and the sun came out!! Driving home the rain was sparse with a few drops here and there and as soon as I pulled into our neighborhood: torrential downpour. Come on!!! That almost seems like it was on purpose!! I know it's a little narcissistic to think that the weather was trying to annoy me specifically, but you've got to admit the timing was an amazing coincidence.

I couldn't wait out the rain in the car, because I had to make an emergency visit to the bathroom. Oh, yeah. I spent a good part of the day in there. (I know, TMI, but it really added to the theme of the day). Because I had such a sketchy stomach I didn't eat much during the day, which brings me to the next great event. I was sitting in Institute, minding my own business when I suddenly start to get an aura. I get occasional migraines that are usually triggered by either not sleeping or not eating and most of the time they are preceded by visual auras, or spots in my vision, and numbness and tingling on one side of my body. Usually if I take some medication right when I first get an aura, I do pretty well. Unfortunately I was stuck for another hour and a half in Institute with no medication. I had Anthony bring me some when he got off of work, but I took it too late. For the next few hours all I could concentrate on was not vomiting on everyone and resisting the urge to bore a hole in my head with a sharp object to release the pressure. Luckily I was able to get home pretty much intact, take some benadryl and sleep it off. I guess that is the silver lining of the day: it wasn't as bad as ones I have had in the past.

So, there you have it. It is now past midnight and I just now woke up to eat so I won't have another one tomorrow or tonight. I didn't even get to go the gym today! I know that sounds weird, but I've sort of become addicted to exercise endorphins. Thank goodness today is officially over.

No comments: