Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Nerd's Dream Come True

Ever since I was little I loved the library. Loved it. I adored everything about it, the smells, the sounds, all the neat books ordered just so. When I was in elementary school I would go to the library every day after school instead of walking home and stay for a few hours just helping out. I thought I was so cool, sitting behind the counter and checking out my classmates' books. One of the librarians kind of scared me because she was kind of gruff and was missing her thumb on her right hand so I tried to avoid her. Funny the things you remember!

As a family, we would all go to the library at least once a week, usually for family home evening and it was so exciting to get a new stack of books. I would read them in class in between assignments and I would even read them while I was walking in the hallways to and from classes and during lunch. The teachers would tease me that they didn't recognize me if I didn't have a book in my hand! I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but last year I actually got accepted to the Master of Library Science program at USF. I applied on a whim when I didn't know if I would have a job, and I figured I might as well work at USF and have them pay my tuition while Anthony finished school. I decided not to go when I got offered my full time job at SDS, but since the program is mostly online it has made me think I will probably go back and get it one day. Once we aren't paying off student loans anymore!

Wouldn't you know it, my dream of working in a library is actually coming true! (sort of :) I decided to start volunteering at the library down the street from us. I was needing some time out of the house doing something non-baby related and thought that a volunteer gig would work perfectly. I am starting next Wednesday with shelving. I am waaaaaaay too excited about this for it to be normal. All those books I get to touch and read the covers, and put in order. Heaven.

1 comment:

Happy said...

Hahaha, this was SO funny! I completely understand though, my dream job was to work in a book store! Love the smell, the books all around me.... Have fun!