Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Herb Garden

After finding some great deals on plants at the farmer's market I decided to try my hand at gardening again. Hopefully, this time will turn out better than the last! I started out with some herbs just because they were so darn cheap! I got these two basil plants for 50 cents each and they are producing like crazy!! I have pruned them back a few times, but they seem to double overnight.
My oregeno died a brutal death unfortunately, but my chives and rosemary are hanging in there. We also have a few tomato plants that are on life support. Hopefully they revive soon! I would like to make my own italian blend of herbs since we use that a lot in cooking, but I have to figure out how to get my oregeno to stay alive first :)

There was no way that I was going to be able to use all of the fresh basil that I pruned, so I decided to try to dry them and then ground them up in their own shaker. I'm pretty happy with the results!
Hanging from a very convienent bar in the laundry room
The end result

1 comment:

Happy said...

Wow! Impressive!! I never would have thought to dry and crush up the excess you can't use in time! Brilliant!