Sunday, July 17, 2011

My first day at the Library

Last Wednesday was my first day as a volunteer at the library and it was so much fun! My schedule for now is going to be Wednesdays from 3PM-5PM, so I am only doing 2 hours a week, but I might do a few more later on. It is amazing how much of a difference it makes to have two hours outside of the house doing something fun (for crazy me) and being around what feels like coworkers. I spent the first hour getting a tour of the library, the back room where they process books that need to be sent back to other libraries, the work areas, and then the layout of the entire library and where all the different sections are. I got some pointers on shelving, which is definitely not hard, but VERY detail oriented. I did a tutorial online on shelving, which seems silly but I was surprised at how many mistakes I made when I rushed through it.

I spent the last hour actually shelving books and I had a blast. I had fun reordering things when I found them out of place and straightening up the shelves as I went. The librarian that is over volunteers has a very loud talking voice (ironic for a librarian!) and I could hear her telling the other librarians what a "quality volunteer" I am going to be. This week I am going to be working with another volunteer who usually shelves and I will get some more tips from him on how to be quick and efficient, but not make mistakes. It took me a good 40 minutes just to shelve one cart of materials, so the quicker I can be, the better. Why haven't I been doing this all my life?? So much fun!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I am honestly so jealous you get to do this! I've always thought it would be fun to work at the library. Hmmm...now you've got me thinking maybe I should volunteer at my library in the evenings or something...

Hope you guys are doing great, your little guy is so cute!