Monday, August 29, 2016

First Week of Kindergarten!

It is official! We have an elementary schooler! The weekend before the first day of school James got to see his classroom and meet his teacher. I was trying to prepare him for how long school is (they go from 8am-3:30pm!), so I told him it was twice as long as church. Big mistake! The night before and the morning of school, he kept saying, "I am NOT going to school." I think he was nervous. I know I was a ball of nerves!

When we got there, the classrooms weren't open yet, so all the kids wait in the lunchroom. Anthony was still in the Keys, so we made him a video so he could feel like he was there.

Once we got to the classroom, James got to exploring. One of his main complaints about school was that they didn't have "good toys" like in preschool, but I haven't heard him say that since the first few days. I think he just didn't see that they were put away out of sight. He found a clock and was trying to make it match the actual clock. Do you see their class schedule?? So full!

Once Anthony got home, we made a trip to chuck e cheese to show him the new card machines. We seriously have spent way too much money there recently :) I got a picture of Rett throwing balls with his left hand. He does this a lot, I wonder if he is going to be a lefty.

We cooked our first quail eggs! This is four eggs. We all took a few bites and James really liked it. Now he will request some quail eggs and will even eat them when I make it.

Doing some snake snuggling:

Since Anthony had been gone for a week, it was time for him to feed the snakes as soon as he got back. When he feeds them, he takes them out of their cage and puts them in a separate container and then after awhile he puts them back in. Except this time he forgot to put the big snake back and accidentally left him in his open bucket. At midnight he remembered and when he checked, the snake was gone, loose in the house! We searched for about 30 minutes until I saw his nose poking out through a crack between the fridge and a cabinet. I guess he found a nice warm spot behind the fridge and decided to stay there. I was so glad we found him! 
Back where he belongs:

One day after school after we picked up James, we drove down to Mimi and Papa's house to swim in their pool and eat pizza before they went on their trip to Utah. James got to sit in Anthony's lap and help him steer the car when we drove from their RV to the clubhouse. He thought it was the greatest thing ever!

At the RV, Dallas and Nevada had fun showing James where they sleep when they stay over and how to open up the windows.

It was a good first week of school, overall James really likes it. Sometimes he says that it is boring or too long, but mostly he is excited to talk about all the things they are learning and what they are doing. His teacher is absolutely perfect for him and he loves her already. I still can't believe that I am the mom of an elementary school child. How did that happen??

3 comments:

Happy said...

I'm so glad he's liking it so much!! Would you mind sending me an email and telling me about what a STEM school is? I think we did talk about it some before but I can't remember any details. It sounds amazing!!

Happy said...

And interesting about Rett throwing the ball left handed. Which hand does he try and eat with? That is the only thing Nolan ALWAYS showed a left handed preference in, he would switch back and forth with everything else. Keep us updated!

Happy said...

Sorry about all of the comments but I keep seeing things in this post I forgot to comment on. The snake thing reminds me of Ant losing the snake in our house for a week and finding it in the shower with him licking the water off the wall. Can you imagine if that had been me who found it?! And so funny of James driving and loving it, it's so dang fun for them! The funniest has been Nolan though because he laughs so hard when he does it (just like Jared about anything he's excited about) and screams when he almost runs into the curb. It makes me and the kids laugh so hard!