Monday, October 5, 2015

Life Between Vacations

While we were shopping for little toys and treats for the airplane, James fell in love with this toy gun. He wanted to get it sooooo bad. Every time he wants something at the store I've been telling him that he should put it on his Christmas list. He insisted that I take a picture of it so that I wouldn't forget to put it on his list. Then he put it back on the shelf behind a few other things to hide it so that no one else would buy it.

We went to the park and played. James helped me push Rett in the swing so that he would go really high and Rett loved it! Look at those curls!! I can never cut them!
James wanted to take a picture of me while I was taking a picture of him.

Right before we left on vacation, we made a new chart for James to help him remember the rules/behaviors we have been focusing on. These are also the ones that are the hardest for him to follow at school, so we wanted to do as much as we can to help him improve. He is such a visual learner, having a chart to show his progress really has been helping him. Funny enough, when I made the chart I thought for sure that his main difficulties were with keeping his hands to himself and sharing toys. Now that we are keeping track we have realized that by far the thing that needs the most work is listening and obeying right away! I put that one on there just as an after thought! He really does like to discuss the why behind the rules before he decides to do what he is told, so it has been an adjustment for all of us to remember to have him obey first and then discuss afterwards.

James finally grew out of his car seat, so right before we left for North Carolina we got him a new harness booster seat and did some car seat switching. The one Rett had been using has a lower weight limit for rear facing than James' old one so we moved James' old one to Rett's seat. That meant that we now have an extra car seat for both boys! I was curious if they would both fit in Anthony's truck in case he needed to take them somewhere in a pinch and it turns out they do. We tried it out and they had to go for a ride around the block. It was Rett's very first time in the truck. (It looks like they were naked but they were wearing underwear/ a diaper)

James had his first soccer game of the season. He did really good at keeping up with his teammates and following the ball. The only problem is that he likes to run with everyone instead of ahead of them. He actually can be faster than a lot of the kids, but for some reason he doesn't want to run ahead. He likes to be in the middle of the pack.

On the way home I wanted to get a picture of him in his new big boy car seat. He gave me a grumpy face until I told him not to smile. Then I got this.

I found the board game Mousetrap while shopping at goodwill and after we got it home, James and I had fun putting it together. This kind of game was made for kids like him! All figuring things out and making things work together. We played it for at least an hour, making the chain reaction go over and over to trap the mice. As I was putting it together I was praying that it wasn't missing any pieces or there was going to be a big meltdown from this little boy. He does not do projects halfway!

No comments: