Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Fun Saturday

I haven't done a post like this in a long time, but I love going back and remembering what our days were like, so I thought I would journal what we did Saturday! It turned out a lot longer than I expected, so feel free to just skip this post. This is more for me :) We did a lot of fun things we don't always do, so don't think that all days are like this, but on long days when Anthony is working I try to plan something so that we don't get bored and cranky at home.

7:00am- I wake up while Anthony is in the shower getting ready for work and I check the baby monitor. Rett is usually awake and rolling around in his crib. Sometimes he is crying half-heartedly, probably thinking, "Come on woman! Wake up already!" :) We have been letting him put himself back to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of the night, so I've been turning the sound down on the video monitor.
7:05am- I stumble to Rett's room to get him and nurse him and I can usually hear James in his room as I walk by, banging on his door or kicking the wall. I think he hears Rett and knows that I will be awake. I usually wait until I've nursed Rett to let James out of his room because if James is around, Rett will be too distracted to eat.
7:20am- I let James out of his room and then I change Rett's diaper and take off his pajamas. James usually won't let me change his clothes right after he wakes up. He likes to lounge around in his pj's as long as possible.
7:40am- I get breakfast ready for Rett and feed him while he is in his highchair. James usually just wants milk and cheerios. It is right around this time James starts asking to watch TV and it is very tempting to let him because then I can get showered and dressed while Rett plays on the floor. Saturday we had early morning plans, so I told him we would have to watch it later. This resulted in a tantrum that almost turned into him being sent to his room. Luckily, he was able to calm down once he realized that we were going to go somewhere and do something fun.
8:00am- Anthony has left for work by now, so I get dressed really quickly, grab something fast to eat like a granola bar and try to start the process of getting everyone ready to go. I have to clean up Rett and his highchair from breakfast (that kid is messy!! He even got cheerios in his hair!).
Then I usually need to change his diaper again and find an outfit for him. Changing his diaper is soooo hard! He is so squirmy, as soon as you lay him flat he pops right back over on his stomach. I usually have to flip him back over at least 4 or 5 times before the diaper is fully changed. Once Rett is happily crawling around and gumming some toys, I try to get James dressed. He usually doesn't want to get dressed and I try to lure him by telling him to pick out the clothes he wants to wear. If I can get him into his room, he will declare a spot where I need to change his clothes: by the window, in the corner, etc... If I try to deviate from his designated spot, there will be tears :) I have to make sure to pick out a pair of shorts that have pockets because he loves to put buttons, cars, or any other random things he finds in his pockets. If we leave the house and he discovers he doesn't have pockets, there will be tantrums.
8:30am- Finally we are all dressed, but I still have to pack the diaper bag with snacks for James (the only time he is really hungry is if we are going somewhere). I also double check that there are extra drinks in the bag because it is going to be hot today! My plan was to go to the park by the farmers market and walk over after playing, so I wanted to bring the new double stroller. James helped me get some things out of the trunk and get the stroller into it. It took some figuring out, but I finally undid some straps and got it to fold right so that it would fit. While I was putting the things from the trunk into the garage, I looked up to see that the inside door from our laundry was open and Rett had crawled into the garage to find us! I guess James left the door open. Luckily, he didn't get very far. The garage is definitely not baby safe!
9:00am- I finally get everyone and everything into the car and we pull out of the driveway. I remembered to bring James' sunglasses (which were in a laundry basket) but for the life of me I couldn't find mine. Do you ever feel like your brain just can't hold another thing in it? On the entire drive there, James asked me questions and said things like, "Why you going that way Mommy?" and "When I was a car, I go that way" (pointing down a side street). He also asked me "Why you doing tricks?" when I drove through a roundabout.
9:30am- We get to the park and James says he wants to go to the market first. There weren't any kids at the park and I was hoping James would have someone to play with later, so I got them buckled in the stroller and walked a few blocks to the farmers market. A lot of people bring their dogs and they have live music, so it is a fun place to look around. It is pretty small though, so after we saw everything I wasn't sure what to do next. James wanted to walk on the sidewalk a bit and I thought I remembered that there was a geocache nearby. While he chased a bug, I checked my phone and it was only .3 miles down the road!
10:00am- I told James we were going to look for treasure and he excitedly hopped back on so we could go. The geocache was surprisingly easy to find and James was so happy! He couldn't believe that we found a treasure! The walk took us very close to Anthony's work, so we decided to keep walking and go say hi. The new stroller didn't fit in the doorway of his office building, so I had to do some fancy maneuvering, taking everything out of it, putting Rett on the floor of the lobby and then folding the stroller up so I could get it in the doorway. Anthony was busy with patients, so we got a drink of water, James weighed himself (32 pounds!), we weighed Rett (18 pounds!) and we said a quick hello and goodbye to Anthony before he went to his next patient.
10:30am- I get the stroller back outside the door and load everyone up for the walk back to the park. James requested several snacks :)
11:00am- We get to the park and there are still no kids there! It is getting pretty hot and there is no shade at this park. James didn't really want to play by himself and I didn't have a good place to leave Rett, who was getting pretty fussy. We stayed for a few minutes and then decided to go.
11:20am- Quick stop at Walgreens on the way home to get a prescription and some shampoo. James found a toy fan that he had to have and since it was on clearance I let him get it.
11:40am- Home finally! I nurse Rett for as long as he will let me (probably 5 minutes tops) and then put him in his highchair for lunch. James wants to watch his new favorite show "Super Why" while eating his lunch. I usually let him watch it longer than I probably should because it makes him excited about letters and the alphabet!! He knows all but 6 of them now and he loves discovering them on street or store signs. He gets excited and says things like, "Hey!!!! I see a S!!!" Like it is a celebrity :)
12:00pm- Rett is done with lunch and pretty tired, but if I put him down for a nap now, he will wake up right when it is time for James' nap, which kills my alone time. I decide to see how long I can keep him happy and try to get the afternoon naps to overlap at least a little bit.
12:45pm- Rett fell asleep pulling himself to a sitting position in the baby swing. He was zonked!! I took him out, changed his diaper, and put him in his crib without him even opening his eyes. After I closed his door, I gave James a warning that TV time was almost over.
1:00pm- James and I read books together. James likes to say, "Let's read LOTS of books", or "Lets read ALL the books". It is so cute! He also likes to ask all sorts of questions at each page, like "Why he do that?" or "Whass going to happen?"
1:30pm- It is a few minutes after I put James into bed and I see the light in his room is on (which is against the rules of naptime and nighttime). When I went in there, I realized I forgot to put him in a diaper and he had taken his pants and underwear off, climbed on his dresser and peed in his closet. I could only find a few drops to clean up, so I just cleaned those. I put a diaper on him and tucked him back in bed. He played in his room for the next few hours, looking out the window and singing the first few letters of the alphabet song. Loudly.
1:45pm- Peace and quiet. I shut myself in my room so I can't hear James' antics. Ahhhhhhh.
4:00pm- Rett wakes up and after feeding him, I let James out of his room (James did not sleep at all). James wants to ride his bike, so I change Rett's diaper and put him in a push car, then help James get his shoes and bike helmet on.
4:15pm- We get out of the front door and start walking/riding. James looked so scrunched and uncomfortable on his bike that I had him stop so I could raise the seat. Once I raised the seat as far as it could go, he felt much better! Soon he will need a bigger bike, can you believe it? We went to the big retention pond a few streets over and James found a few sticks that he used at railroad crossing barricades for me and Rett. We had to wait for quite a few trains ;) On the way home we stopped by a house that had a tire swing. The owner was working in his garage and invited James to swing in it. He wanted to get in, but he was adamant that I not swing or push him. He doesn't like the swings at the park either.

5:30pm- We get home and I start getting dinner ready since Anthony will be home soon.
5:45pm- Anthony gets home, we eat dinner and then decide to go out for ice cream!  I felt like trying out a new place by the beach and it was fun. James had vanilla ice cream with sprinkles, Rett had fun tearing up napkins, Anthony had cookie dough ice cream (of course), and I had a milkshake. It was a little too touristy for me, but it was fun to try a new place.
7:45pm- We get home and start bath time for both boys. Sometimes we skip baths when we have a late night, but since the next day was Sunday I wanted to make sure everyone got washed.
8:15pm- Scriptures, stories, family prayer, brush teeth, and bed for the boys.
8:45pm- Anthony starts getting his lesson ready for primary and Elder's quorum for the next day. I don't have a lesson in primary, so I relax with the ipad.
10:30pm- Bedtime!! We are definitely ready for it.

1 comment:

Happy said...

This was fun to read! I love hearing about what you guys are up to! I love hearing all of the things James says, he is a hoot!
I hear ya on the alone time during nap time!! Jared DOES NOT UNDERSTAND it and when he is home, always wants me to do projects with him during that time or when the kids go to bed. SHOOT. ME. NOW.
I have yet to try out a farmers market but am determined to every time I read your blog!
So glad you all are doing well! We miss you guys!!