Monday, May 27, 2013

Boy or Girl??

I thought it would be interesting to compile all the old wives' tales about predicting the gender of your baby to see what our predictions would be. As I was looking around the internet for these, I thought it was funny to see different ones advertised as being "as good as 50% accurate!!". Ummm, any guess you have will always have a 50% chance of being right. Since there are only two possible answers :)

1) If carrying high you are having girl, if carrying low you are having a boy: I'm not sure what to say about this one. I think it applies more to the olden days when you didn't know if it was a boy or a girl until you gave birth, because at this point in my pregnancy my uterus is just a few inches past my belly button so I don't know how I could be carrying any way but low...but I guess if I have to choose I would say low.
Verdict:  Boy

2) If you are having pregnancy cravings for sweets it is a girl, for sour/salty things it is a boy: I have definitely been having sour/salty cravings all the time! Pickles, potato chips, ooey gooey cheesy things, all of that stuff always sounds like heaven to me.
Verdict:  Boy

3) Ancient Chinese Birth Chart that uses your birth date and your date of conception to calculate gender: So according to the ancient Chinese I am about to have a boy.
Verdict:  Boy

4) Put drano in a cup of your pee, it if turns brown, black, or blue it is a boy, if it turns green, green/brown, yellow, or doesn't change it is a girl : So how weird is this one?? It is so weird, I had to try it!! I'm not sure how old this old wives tale is since drano doesn't seem that old, but why not?
Verdict: Girl

5) Ancient Mayan tradition of comparing the mother's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, then it is a girl. If one is even and the other is odd then it is a boy: Do you think Mayans worried enough about what gender a baby was going to be that they came up with this? Or do you think someone came up with this and slapped the name "Mayan" on it? Hmmm...
Verdict:  Boy

6) If you have a lot of acne/breakouts then it is going to be a girl because they steal their mother's beauty (or the technical explanation is that girls supposedly produce more hormones than boys): I  definitely have to go with girl on this one. Especially in the beginning I broke out like crazy!!! I'm not really having those problems anymore, but I remember thinking at the time that it was way more than with James.
Verdict: Girl

7) Tie your wedding ring to a string and hold it 12 inches over your belly while you are lying down. If it moves in circles it is a girl, if it moves back and forth like a pendulum it is a boy: I had Anthony hold the string with his wedding ring attached at it immediately started doing circles!
Verdict: Girl

8) If you have a lot of morning sickness/pregnancy yuckiness you will be having a girl supposedly because girls produce more hormones which in turn make you sicker: Not that I need to be arguing the validity of these things, since they all have pretty much been proven inaccurate, but I always heard that you get morning sickness in the first trimester because baby's don't produce hormones in the beginning and so your body has to produce extra for them. So it is your own hormones making you sick, not the babies. Although if girls need more, then maybe your body produces even more and that makes you sick? Either way, the sickness was brutal with me this time.
Verdict: Girl

9) If the baby is very active (lots of kicks and moving around) it is a girl, if it is not than it is a boy (because boys are lazier): This definitely wasn't the case with James, and I would think it would be the opposite since girls are supposedly calmer children, but I guess we will go with it.
Verdict: Boy

So according to the old wives, we are having a boy but by a narrow margin! Tomorrow is our ultrasound appointment and we will be opening up the gender picture with our family afterwards and we will all find out together, so stay tuned for the official results! What do you think? Do we have a boy or a girl cooking in there? :)

*Since I don't know where else to put this, I wanted to update with my 21 weeks picture:


3 comments:

Happy said...

Our guesses:
Jared: boy
Happy: girl
Teya: girl
Dallin: boy

Teya actually hopes it will be a girl and Dallin is hoping for a boy, in addition to their predictions. We can't wait to hear!

Lindsey said...

I love that you did all these old wives tales:) So funny! I always heard that if you carry low it was a girl and if you carry high it's a boy. And I carried low with both my girls and had terrible morning sickness...but since I have no boys to compare that means basically nothing, lol. But I'll go ahead and guess girl. I can't wait to hear what you're having, so exciting!

Angie Ora said...

Oh my goodness, so so exciting. Then I got on facebook and saw that you are having a boy. Looks like you were right! Congratulations and I will be checking in on you!! So awesome!