Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Trip to Mississippi

 Every year around spring break my mom and my brother take weekend trip up to Mississippi to put flowers on my dad's grave. This year we decided to come along! I found a pretty cheap hotel for us to stay in (I didn't think it would be much different from the Holiday Inn across the street, but it was definitely a "budget" motel), we all piled in my brother's car and we braved the 9 hour drive there on Friday, stayed Saturday, and drove 9 hours back Sunday. After dinner we got back in our car and drove the 3 hour drive from my mom's house back to our house for a total of 12 hours in the car. It was a marathon of a car trip!

At one of our meal stops, James climbed into the driver's seat to take a turn at the wheel. He sure does love a steering wheel!

The drive there seemed pretty endless. James was full of energy and wanted someone to play with him the entire trip. He fell asleep for a total of 15 minutes around 7pm right before we got to the hotel. He also isn't used to sleeping in the same room with us, so putting to him to bed was a challenge. Since we were still in the room with him, he couldn't understand why we weren't playing with him. We were practically hiding under the covers so he couldn't see our faces while he kept yelling, "Mommy! Mommy!...Daddy! Daddy!"

On Saturday after we visited my dad's grave, we stopped by this old tank that is in front of the local VFW. James loved it!

He had to touch as much of it as he could!
Running circles around it. He is so tiny compared to this thing!
He saw my mom sitting on this little wall, so he wanted to sit on it too...for about 2 seconds, then he wanted down so he could keep running in circles.
The drive back seemed to go much faster. We got an early start and didn't make as many pit stops. I think we were all ready to be home :) We stopped at a diner for lunch and James was not happy about sitting in a seat for another hour or so. It took a really long time to get our food and since James was melting down I spent most of the time out on the restaurant's porch letting him run around and watch the cars drive by. After we made it to my mom's house, we had dinner and then hit the road to drive home. We got home around 9:30 and we were so happy to take a break from the car for a while!

Our next big car trip is our family vacation to myrtle beach in the beginning of June, so we have a good 2 month break to get ready to do it again :)

1 comment:

Happy said...

Wow, that sounds like a long time in the car, but I'm sure you're glad you did it too! I know driving for long periods of time isn't y'alls thing, so I'm super impressed with you for doing it!! The part at the hotel made me laugh! SO hard sleeping in a room with a little one who is used to their own room with zero noise or distractions! We feel the same way about not traveling again for a while, but it's funny how I keep finding myself planning out more trips in our near future!