Saturday, August 1, 2009

Our first yard sale

This morning Anthony and I had our very first yard sale! We had a lot of junk to get rid of, and now that it is all over I am glad to be rid of it. I was way too nervous about doing this!! I mean, what is there to be nervous about right? I couldn't sleep all night because I was thinking about how exactly we were going to set things up. We got up at 6am to start putting out signs and starting setting things up at 7am. Not very many people came, probably in part because we are in the back of a small neighborhood. Still, I told myself that I would be happy if we made $25, and we ended up making $40! What is funny is that the things I was sure were going to sell didn't, and we sold some things that I put in because otherwise I was going to through it away (like an old back scratcher that I have no idea where it came from).

I don't think we will be having very many yard sales in the years to come. We aren't patient people, and sitting there for hours we kept second guessing ourselves on what we could sell on ebay. We ended up taking things back and putting them in the house, vowing to put them on ebay tonight. Whether that will happen or not remains to be seen :) After a few hours, we were tired and no one was coming so we packed the car FULL of 7 bags of stuff and one big box of books to take to Goodwill. Now I don't have any more excuses, I have to get to packing. If only I had some boxes...

2 comments:

Happy said...

For some reason, any post that involves Anthony makes Jared and me laugh so hard! I can imagine a yard sale is a lot of work. Now that we have a house, we have thought of having a sale ourselves, but the idea of all that work and then sitting outside all day sounds like a lot! I guess I'll just keep going to them. That's awesome that you made $40 though! And hilarious that someone bought a back scratcher!

Happy said...

Oh, and I meant to tell you, in case you didn't already know of a good place to get boxes: when we moved from Gainesville, I got tons out of the card board only dumpster behind Best Buy. It's awesome b/c the boxes are already all broken down but are clean since they don't put other trash in there.