Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Lily and Luna

After Oliver I was pretty determined that we could wait a looooong time before we get any more goats. Definitely no more boys that could have the same urinary problems he had. The woman I bought Oliver from asked how he was doing, and I told her what happened. She felt really bad (even though she couldn't have known or prevented it) and offered to give us one of her baby goats that were due from her other mother goat around Christmas. I told her that if she had a girl then maybe... A few weeks after Christmas I got a message from her that her goat had triplets, two of them were girls so we could choose which one we wanted. After looking at them we decided we needed them both! She gave us one of them for free and we paid for the sister. We decided to name them Lily and Luna (Harry Potter names of course!). When they were two weeks old she messaged us and said we could come get them and that they were taking a bottle pretty well.

This is their mother, Creme Soda:

Nursing, nursing, nursing. Those babies would not stop nursing!

This is the dad:

Taking them home with both of them in my lap:

After we got them home they were climbing on everything and running around, so curious!

That night I put them to sleep in a pack and play in the house, but they refused to take a bottle. The next morning they still refused. I messaged the previous owner and she said not to worry, that they nursed a lot the day before and that they would take a bottle when they were hungry enough. After 24 hours they still hadn't had any milk at all and I was getting really worried. So we decided to take them back to let them have more time to nurse on their mother. The lady was really nice and told me that it is just because we are new to goats, that she could spend some time with them and get them 100 percent switched to a bottle in the next few days. Then four days later she sent me a message and said that no matter what she tried, they wouldn't take it!! (I felt so vindicated that I was right). So we decided to let them stay with mom for another 6 weeks until they were weaned. The afternoon of my birthday it was time for round 2 of picking them up and taking them home. They were so much bigger!

They are super friendly little girls and will bleat at you if you come out to their pen, like they just want you to come over and feed them. They climb all over the place and are crazy fast once they get running! We let them out of their small pen if we are home during the day so they can explore and graze on different grasses and weeds. It really feels like we have a petting zoo now ;)

2 comments:

Happy said...

(I left my last comment on the wrong post, so I'll put this one under this post). Happy birthday!!! Wow, an orange tree?! That's a pretty cool present! I wish SOOOO much we could grow orange trees out here!!! I will be planting an apple tree or two this spring so I guess at least I can do second best... I love that your cake says 21, I've decided that mine will say 29 for the rest of my life... Your chicks are toooooo cute!!! That's so cool that a hen will care for chicks that aren't actually hers. I love that James can just pick up chickens and is comfortable around animals like that. My poor kids... I'm also jealous of the bees!!! I would actually love to have bees and our own honey, maybe someday...I keep thinking of all the things I'll have time to do once my kids are in school, like a garden, doing the AIP Paleo diet for Jared, etc.

Happy said...

Oh and I thought that was so funny about your puppy running and jumping on top of you guys on the hammock, I had to tell Jared about that. But I'm wondering when the heck you have time to lay in a hammock?!?