Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fort Desoto Beach


Anthony and I finally had a chance to go to the beach today! We've been wanting to do it for awhile, especially since we live so close to the coast now but with Anthony working weekends and me working during the week our schedules never seem to line up. The weather was perfect and it wasn't too crowded. I did miss not having very many waves, but that's what you get on the gulf coast :)

Anthony was able to get some fishing in:I have been dying to kick back, relax, and soak in the beach:
And what can be better than relaxing and reading a good book with this as a background?

Of course, our trip would not be complete with the appropriate amount of craziness! Anthony and I decided to take a walk to the far north edge of the park's beach to check out some cool looking trees coming out of the water. As we got closer, I laughed a little bit at an older man walking in front of us wearing a G-string speedo! I even remember thinking that this guy must feel really out of placing wearing something like that in good old America (Speedos for guys are a strictly European trend, right?). As we keep walking, I noticed a few more string-speedo wearing older men, but I was listening to music and looking for fish in the water so it didn't really register as something to be concerned about. We passed a few more groups of people before we got to the end of the beach where it turned into a protected conservation area.

After about 15 minutes of fishing and lounging, I happened to glance up as another older man started to walk out of the water. "Dang, another speedo" I thought, but as he got closer and closer to the beach all of a sudden I realized I was wrong, he wasn't wearing a speedo, in fact he wasn't wearing anything! The realization dawned on me that we had inadvertently wandered into the unofficial nudist/clothing optional part of the beach. Not only that, to get back to the clothes-wearing part of the beach we had to walk by several groups of people that I now realized would probably not be wearing any clothes. How awkward! I seriously didn't know where to look as we started to walk back. I could look at the water, but then I might run into someone standing on the beach and that wouldn't be good for obvious reasons. I could look ahead of me, but every time I caught of glimpse of one of the naked old guys I had the irresistible urge to giggle and once I started I knew I would be able to stop. I settled for looking at my feet and biting the inside of my lip so I didn't burst out into immature guffaws. Whew, what an experience! They need to post those "unofficial" beach areas on trip advisor or something!

No comments: