Thursday, May 13, 2010

What to say, what to say...

I promised myself that I would post more often, I just need to get more creative with the topics that I deem postable. With everyday being pretty much the same around here, I often think to myself that I need to remember and enjoy all of the little things in life or I will waste my entire life focusing on major events and look back and wonder where all the time has gone. And really, when you think about it, it is the little things that make life interesting and are the things that make your life unique and special. All of the major events that we wait for and anticipate can all be looked up and researched by posterity, but how much more special is it to write down and remember all of the parts of your life that made it uniquely yours.

Anthony and I drove to Merritt Island last Sunday to visit his mother for Mother's day. It was really fun and it reminded me of one of my favorite things about visits like that. Believe it or not, it is actually the drive (as long as I'm not driving! Still not a fan of the interstate driving). Anthony and I always find such interesting things to talk about in the hours spent in the car together. On the way home, we were both getting kind of sleepy so I tried extra hard to come up with questions to keep us talking and awake. I asked Anthony what his absolute ideal job would be if it paid whatever amount of money that he wanted. He didn't have to think long, he almost immediately proclaimed that he would be a fishing captain. He would get other people to pay him to take them fishing on work days, and then go fishing by himself to scout out new spots on his off days. After a few seconds I turned to him, seriously, and asked why he didn't ever pursue it. He simply said that he knew it didn't make enough money to support a family comfortably and that he always knew he wanted a family someday. Truly, how selfless to give up your dream for the sake of people you haven't met yet. Amazing.

When he asked me the same question, I was pretty stumped. I never grew up thinking about careers, because I always knew that I wanted to be a stay at home mom and I really didn't know many career paths that allowed for that. Even now, a lot of the choices I made about school and work were all centered around eventually having kids and not about career advancement. Now it is strange to find myself in a full time professional job and starting to learn about office politics, promotions, getting ahead, building up my skill set, and planning for my future career. I never thought I would really be in this position, but I am learning to embrace things as they come and learn what I can from every situation. I don't know if I ever really thought of a good answer for Anthony. In the end my dream job would be doing rewarding work with people I enjoy. What the actual tasks are really aren't that important to me.

I'll leave you with yet another tidbit from Antiques Roadshow. If you don't already watch this show every week, you need to. For real, PBS rocks my socks.

This is a collection of jade pieces that a woman brought in, given to her by her father. Her father bought them in China during the 1930's and 40's, probably only paying a maximum of 100 dollars per piece. This ended up being the most valuable appraisal in all of Antiques Roadshow history!!! One of my favorite parts of watching the show is seeing the owner's reactions. Her's was so funny to me, Anthony and I couldn't stop laughing. I guess it isn't really appropriate to include what she said, but basically nothing came to her mind but expletives when they told her that the entire collection was worth $710,000-$1,070,00!

No comments: