Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Life with James

As spirited, strong-willed, emotional, determined, and exasperating as James can be, life is never boring with him around. We are usually either wanting to pull our hair out or laugh out loud, but it is never dull :)

Since he talks nonstop from the moment he wakes up until bedtime, there are so many moments throughout the day when he says such funny things! Here are a few recently:

-While I was strapping him in his car seat, he looked at me and said, "Santa is weird". I said, "why do you say that? He brings you presents and he is nice!". He replied, "yeaaaah. But sitting in his lap is so weeeeird!" I didn't know what to say to that one. I never thought about it before, but I guess it is kind of weird. I mean, we never make him sit in anyone else's lap and ask for presents.

-One afternoon James kept coming out his room during quiet time to say he needed to go potty and would then just play in the bathroom until I made him go back to his room. A few minutes later he would say he needed to go and the cycle would start all over again. After about the fourth time, he came out of the bathroom with no pants or underwear on and just wandered around the room. I said, "Hey buddy! Did you go potty? Do you need to wipe?". He cocked his head to the side and said, "weeeeelll...it's a mystery," and walked out of the room. 

-One morning James came into our room and gave me a stern look. He said, "Mommy. I don't want you to be in here. I want you to be out there! (Pointing to the living room)" As we were walking out of the room, he gave me another frown and said, "I'm gonna have to send you to Grandma!".

-As we were driving in the car James informed me that, "tomorrow I am going to a band. I'm bringing my guitar and my piano and my stool. Tomorrow. Ok?"

-Rett was sick and had a high fever so we took him to get his ears checked. James likes to take the instruments and look in ears and eyes, and he insisted on looking in my eyes. He looked through the scope and said, "yep. blue."

-We were watching a Gator football game and James had lots of opinions about it: "Sometimes the red ones and the white ones don't have any more energy. That's why they fall." Then a few minutes later, "Mommy, those guys don't need underwear. They just don't."

-After seeing 3 different almost-crashes in the grocery store parking lot because of people not paying attention and driving WAY too fast, I started ranting in the car about people and their careless driving. After a few minutes, James asked me, "So Mommy. You gonna cry now or not?"

-James is a master negotiator. He has an argument for everything and will not stop until you have heard his entire reason or explanation. We had a box of miniature Oreos and James decided that he needed some. He came up to me and said, "Can I have a cookie?". I thought about it for a little bit and said, "No, I don't think so". Undeterred, James said, "Can I have just one cookie?". They are so small I caved and said, "Ok, I guess you can have one". Immediately James came back with, "Can I have three?" (holding up his three fingers). I said, "No!! I just said you can only have one!". He replied, "Ok, how about two?"

-Since James graduated to a twin sized bed, we have made it part of our bedtime routine to lie down with him right before he goes to sleep. After stories, prayers, and brushing teeth, we climb into bed and set the timer on our phone for a few minutes. When the timer goes off we give him a last kiss and hug and get up to leave. Every time James will wrap his arms around our neck in a big bear hug and make a machine noise out of his nose. He has told us that this is the sound of his "lock" locking so that we can't leave. Then we have to tickle him to "unlock" it so we can leave.

We sure do love our cute, funny, unique little boy!

No comments: