Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The great outdoors

One of the goals that I've set for myself recently is to really try to make sure that James and I (and Anthony if he is home) spend some time outside every day. This may seem like a no-brainer if this is something that you do already, but for us it takes a conscious effort. I was realizing that we would have several days in a row where we were busy, but most of our activities consisted of getting in the car and going into an air conditioned building and then back home inside. James has always loved being outside, ever since he was a baby, and Anthony loves it, but I have never gotten in the habit of it unless I was out there for a purpose. I would much rather be inside with a computer or a book! Recently, I've come to appreciate the peace that comes from being out in nature and the interesting things you can see if you just take the time to watch. I realized that I wanted James to have that same feeling and love of the outdoors that Anthony has, but I need to help him discover it!

Last week we all went out on the boat for the first time in years! (It has been broken for a loooong time). The wind was cool and refreshing and the sun was out, making everything glow and the water sparkle. We saw two dolphins and got out to explore an island in the middle of the channel, something I have never done before! James loved it, especially the breeze. That kid loves the wind in his face :)

Yesterday for our outside time I took James out into the back yard and he just sat and played in his exersaucer, pointing at birds and planes and the dogs while I dug and weeded our herb garden and our vegetables. After that he even had a little farmer's tan :)

I'm so glad that I decided to do this. I already feel like I have benefited from it, and I hope that continues into the future. I love this peaceful and calm period in our lives right now when I can take the time to think about how I want things to be and set goals towards accomplishing it. And I love that I get to play outside in the yard or at the park or in the boat with my family and drink in the beauty of this earth.

No comments: