Sunday, September 1, 2019

New Job and New School Year

At the beginning of the summer I interviewed for a job at the boys school and I got it! I wanted to have a job that would match the boys' school schedule so when this came up it was perfect. I am a teaching assistant for Kindergarten through 3rd grade (which is 16 different classes), so I rotate through them all helping kids who need extra help with finishing their work or who need extra attention on reading and math. I love being able to see the boys throughout the day and keep my eye on what they are doing in class. 

Since teachers go back to school a week before students, I asked my mom to watch the boys that week while I went to all the trainings. A few days before she came, the front office unexpectedly called me and said they forgot to tell me about some new employee meetings happening the next day! We were scrambling around trying to figure out what to do with the boys and we finally decided to meet my mom half way and let her take them to her house for a few days. They had a complete blast!! I would come home from work to an empty house and feel so lonely. They didn't even call me to say goodnight, they were having too much fun!

They spent time at my brother's apartment hanging out and swimming in his pool. Rett really loves his roommate's dog Winston. This is him snuggling Winston:

My mom spoiled them rotten and took them out to eat all the time. They even got ice cream for dessert! You can tell James just woke up. Look at his crazy bedhead!

Showing what he is eating for lunch...gross!

We met halfway again to trade back and take the boys home. Then my mom came when we originally planned and watched the boys the week before school started while Anthony and I worked. She is always such a life saver!

The first day of training was team building and was so much fun. The administration always has a theme for the year and this year was "High Five" (since it is the 5th year in a row the school got an A rating). The principal handed out a book study to go with the theme, they even did a little "High Five" dance that they got from an Australian kid's show that has a high five song and dance. The entire school is going to learn it this year. They put me in the 2nd/3rd grade team and we did all kinds of team games. I learned that many of the teachers at the boys' school are verrrrrry competitive! Also, they had all the new employees stand and introduce themselves and when I stood up and said who I was, a group of the teachers yelled and cheered (mostly teachers James has had), which made me feel so loved and welcomed :)

Finally the day came! Rett asked about when school was going to start every. single. day. of. summer. Rett got the same teacher James had for kindergarten and I just love her to death. He is going to have a great year with her!

This is James's first year having two teachers: one for reading/language arts and one for math and science. Both of them are new teachers to the school, but we went through new employee orientation together so I got to know them pretty well. He likes them both and he likes switching classrooms during the day. So far he is loving math and his willingness to read is getting better. Since they have silent reading in class every day, he has started coming home and telling me interesting things he is reading.

Anthony surprised me by taking the boys to the store to buy me treats and had them draw me a picture to congratulate me on my new job. I put the pictures up on the wall above my desk. James drew a picture of the school with me in front of it and fireworks in the sky celebrating me being there. So funny!

Rett drew a picture of me in the front office of the school and made sure to add the flag pole so I would know where it was.

A friend from church texted me to see if we would be willing to take one of her pregnant cats (they have 15 cats and their landlord is not happy about it!). I couldn't resist the thought of baby kittens, so I said we would take her. Her name is Cheeby. She is really sweet and the boys are loving having a cat that isn't scared of kids.

Unfortunately, a few days after we got her she had a miscarriage and lost her kittens. It was sad, but we were really glad that she recovered well and didn't have any complications. Anthony sent me this picture after he found her stuck in a gift bag from the closet she was hiding in.

Even though James is still going to his community cub scout pack, the church pack invited us to go with them to their service trip to the Bishop's storehouse in Orlando.

They gave us a tour of the facility and told us all about what farms the church has around the world that produces the different products. It was so interesting!

They loved the huge walk in refrigerator and freezer.

One of the boys asked what this big machine was in the corner of the warehouse. Our guide told them it was a machine that saran wraps the pallets for storage...then he decided to demonstrate by wrapping all the cub scouts! They thought it was the best thing ever!!


Now it was time for our service portion! We assembled 50 hygiene/food kits so that we could deliver them to a local food pantry. A few of the boys were assigned to assemble the boxes and everyone else was given a spot on the assembly line to pack the boxes.

Rett was the "supervisor"


Look at all of those boxes!

Before we loaded all the boxes in our cars, we got to walk over and visit the Orlando Mission office since the storehouse and mission office are right next door to each other. James and Rett got to take turns sitting in the mission president's chair!

No comments: